Christ Lutheran Church
Often recognized as the “green church with the red door”, Christ Lutheran Church is an outstanding example of gothic Renaissance Architecture by one of America’s leading church designers. The construction was a highlight in the career of S. Lewis Lionberger, founder of Lionberger Construction as he built the original church in 1949. The greenstone used on the exterior of the original church was actually re-cycled “waste” from the manufacture of furnace liners. The 1976 addition presented Lewis and Sam the challenge of finding similar stone since the quarry had closed. Their search ended when they found the stone on Walton’s Mountain, near Charlottesville.
S. Lewis Lionberger & Sam Lionberger
Harold Waggoner & Associates
New and Renovation
25,000 (1949), 9,000 (1976)